Apple announced the new IOS7 at the WWDC (Apple Worldwide Developers Conference). It includes a new “flat design” and nine new key features.
I’m not a big fan of flat design and like my digital toys to emulate mechanical devices. IE My digital clock looks like an old clock but I am always open to new ideas. I find it a little funny they made everything flat but added “a new approaches to animation and motion make even the simplest tasks more engaging.” This makes the screen look 3D. When you move the screen around you can see behind the icons. Very cool for a “flat” design.
The new Control Center allows you to access many of the settings quickly by swiping from the bottom of the screen. Great way to turn on or off a feature or adjust the brightness etc. (nice to have)
Updated so you can see missed notifications. (nice to have)
It’s not the same as you would expect. “Because iOS 7 learns when you like to use your apps and can update your content before you launch them.” As usual Apple thinks outside the box. Apps will do tasks in the background when the time is right. Example, when a notification is received, IOS will use this time to do other tasks. (have to see it).
Change the layout to make it easier to use and added filters. (nice to have)
Updated to make it easier to find your photos. This looks like a fantastic update. With 1000’s of pictures this will be a great new feature. (excellent to have)
Updated with tabs and better features. No flash but everyone is dropping flash anyway. (nice to have)
Interesting new service. I’m not sure if you can listen to complete songs for free but they have a link to purchase the song as your listening to it. (have to see it)
Also Siri in iOS 7 gets a new look, a new sound, and new capabilities. Nice to have Siri doing more. Great for hands free use. (great to have)
One other feature that is more important than everything else is the protection. If you lose your phone and they erase it they still can not use it. It can’t be reactivated unless they enter your iCloud password. I don’t know of any other phone manufacture that does this much to protect your phone from being stolen. If you left your iPhone behind in a store and rushed back to get it you know what I mean. This feature is fantastic.
- Call And Message Blocking, great for blocking the phone company when we are late with a payment.
- Unlimited Tabs In Safari
- Compass App now has a Level, mmmm. Not sure about the view. Mny lther free onces that look great.
- FaceTime Gets Its Own App, Now Does Audio Calls, this great for people who don’t have a home phone and use facetime to call like my daughter.
- Panoramic Wallpaper,this is very cool. You can see it here https://vine.co/v/blOUxUtaKzE
- The App Store now updates apps automatically
- Passbook Gets A QR Code Scanner so you can scan your tickets.
- New App Store Kids Section Groups Apps By Age Ranges, great for everyone who lets there kids use there iPhone like my daughter.
- Live Clock Icon, show the current time animated in the icon. Very cool.
- Updates for maps with walking directions and even knows when you should be heading up or down hills
- Better Access to Notifications On The Lock Screen
- A new way to show App Data Hogs and disable individual apps from using cellular data.
Also part of the iCloud is the keychain across devices. This is great. No more post-it notes with passwords on it, stuck to your monitor. It will even create a password for you. The keychain has 256 bit encryption.
Apple has also set a target directly on Microsoft Office. The new Pages application will be more compatible with Microsoft Word and will enable you to edit your files on your laptop, iPhone, iPad or even on a web browser (similar to Microsoft’s new cloud office). The big difference is that Microsoft charges you $9 per month to use the service and Apples is free. This could be the beginning of the end for Office.
As always the update is free and gives enough new features to make you upgrade. Also the upgrade is painless and can even be done at a coffee shop while your having a coffee.
Apple is super cautious and does not like to do anything that will effect the user experience. You have to trade fancy flashy new features that other companies try to wow you with with the reliability that Apple gives you and piece of mind that you may get your stolen or lost device back.
I’m a hacker from way back but when it comes to my phone, I just want it to work.
The Apple eco system is getting better and better every day with the iCloud keychain and Microsoft office compatibility is going to make it hard to beat.
I can’t wait to install iOS7. As usual with Apple, all the nice to have and few great to have items add up to a must have release.
iOS 7 will be available as a free download this fall and will run on the following devices:
- iPhone 4 and above
- iPad 2 and above
- iPad mini
- iPod touch, fifth generation
I would expect that many of the features may be limited on the older devices (IE iPad 2).