Western Digital TV LIve
To put it simply, it just works. Quick setup and worked with every file format I could find. It is very responsive. I have owned a few of the WD media boxes. This is the newest update of the device with a new larger remote with special keys that you can define. You can also use your iPhone as a remote
As with all the other models you can have a hard disk plugged into the unit filled with movies, music and pictures and share with any other WD media player in the house. One of the new features is the services like Netflix etc. This is a great addition and works great. It also can play movies from youtube and other services. There is several music services you can use too. It’s like getting satellite radio for free. Great when you want some background music during a party.
I use a media server on my Mac to store my movies use the WD TV Live to stream the movies to the TV. The reason I do this is since I use a Mac I don’t like using FAT32 disks. They run much slower than a Mac formatted disk but I like the to have the option of plugging in a memory stick or small hard disk anytime. And having them shared room to room is fantastic.
The media player software works perfect. I have several media players and they sometime have problems finding my media server but I never had any issues with the WD TV Live. You can also browse the network shares and play videos, music and view pictures. This is a great way to upgrade any TV with a great media and internet player. Other features include:
- WD TV Remote™ app used to control the WD TV Live using your iPhone.
- extended-range Wireless-N – giving you the speed you need to stream HD
- WD TV Live brings casual games to your big screen TV.
- spectacular picture quality of Full-HD 1080p
The WD TV Lite and other models are like eating potato chips. You can’t stop at just one and work even better the more you own. One in the den can share moves with the TV in the rec-room or bedroom.
File Formats Supported
- Video – AVI (Xvid, AVC, MPEG1/2/4), MPG/MPEG, VOB, MKV (h.264, x.264, AVC, MPEG1/2/4, VC-1), TS/TP/M2T (MPEG1/2/4, AVC, VC-1), MP4/MOV (MPEG4, h.264), M2TS, WMV9, FLV (h.264)
- Photo – JPEG, GIF, TIF/TIFF, BMP, PNG
- Audio – MP3, WAV/PCM/LPCM, WMA, AAC, FLAC, MKA, AIF/AIFF, OGG, Dolby Digital, DTS
- Playlist – PLS, M3U, WPL
- Subtitle – SRT, ASS, SSA, SUB, SMI